Saturday, September 12, 2009

My Italian ex


I was just surfing the net and I was reading kennysia's blog on his trip to Copenhagen and it was the last part which caught my attention between Kenny and a Danish guy on how to impress a girl on a date.

Danish Dude: What type of restaurant would you bring a girl to if you want to have a good night out in Malaysia?


Kenny Sia
: Italian. Not necessarily because we like Italian food, but that's just where we're expected to take girls out to if we wanna impress them.

Danish Dude: Italian? See that's the difference. Over here, if we want to impress somebody, we'd take them out to a really nice Asian restaurant. Chinese, Thai, whatever. As long as it's Asian.


The grass is always greener on the other side init? This brought back memories of my Italian ex. He made me wonder if past lives existed coz he must've been Asian before. May as well have called himself an egg. White on the outside. Yellow on the inside. Seriously! He was totally into Asian culture from Japanese tattoos, chinese dragons, the works!

His bedroom was like a chinese temple down to the burning incense. He was trained in kung fu (of course, it couldn't be boxing or anything too Western! ;) Every tattoo on his body was either Chinese or Japanese and he had SEVERAL. Of course there was a Bruce Lee poster on the bedroom wall, chinese ornaments like the fuk luk sao. My goodness, he even had a bagua on the window sill which he placed on his window ledge to ward off "evil"


The irony is the family was as Catholic as it got. There were crosses on the wall in the house, they go to Church, the whole works! His Mum was even afraid of the ornaments in his room because it was simply not her culture and she didn't understand his obsession. She actually requested he keep his bedroom door shut.


This guy was more Chinese than anyone I knew. He read up on it, was really into his martial arts and he ate with chopsticks at meal times while I used normal cutlery. When I was first invited over to his house for dinner, I wasn't sure how it would go. I wondered if his Mum would be ok with me. Naturally, I would be viewed as an extension of his Oriental obsession right? And who could blame her? I mean his bedroom was full-on. Even the calender was in Chinese characters. I don't think he could read it. All that mattered was that it was in Chinese! ;)

Photo by Jothi

Anyhow, I was really looking forward to his Mum's famous lasagna. I had heard so much about her cooking. Apparently, people were trying to get her to open her own restaurant. She was THAT good and totally authentic just the way Italians do it! No short cuts.

Photo by Jothi

She made pasta from absolute scratch. She also grew her own olive trees to make fresh olive oil and she had tomato trees in her garden to make her own tomato based sauces. Wow! I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to dinner with his Italian family.

I liked his mother the moment I met her and she was so warm. She bustled me into the kitchen where she was preparing dinner and I seriously wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when she said kindly "I'm really not that good at it but I've made you some Chinese fried rice"


OMG and it was made especially for me! She was making an effort because she was told he was bringing back his new Asian girlfriend. Oh dear. She then asked me what my favourite food was and I didn't know how to tell her it was Italian! Too funny!! :)

18 comments:

Unknown said...

the last paragraph of your post totally made me laugh. :D

kennysia said...

I know right! I find it totally weird sometimes when I travelled halfway around the world to Europe, and my hosts/friends would offer to cook me Nasi Lemak when all I wanted to eat was authentic Danish pastry or Welsh lamb chop!

Kevin Chan said...

HAHA! Good one there! Now if I ever get lucky with a European chick, I would know what to do! :D

Amanda Christine Wong said...

the irony!

Cai Hong said...

hahaah so funny!

and yeap yeap,my malay ex was so into chinese songs and blah blah blah just because he looks like chinese:P

Jojo Struys said...

Having said that, if I'm away from home for TOO LONG, I start to miss local food...can't win em all1 ;)

Family of Four said...

Anyway, it is good to taste how others cook fried rice. After all, many people cook it in different ways and they do use local ingredients that make it perhaps extra special. I am not into fried rice, myself, though.

TheJessicat said...

babe i love italian too. cant belive momma made CHINESE CHICKEN RICE for u. whoa! next time YOU make her lasagne instead :P

流浪汉 瑜伽 Yoga Tramp said...

朋友有缘网里能相会!
十一月我们会主办专业瑜伽导师课程,如你欲知更多详情欢迎游览我们的网站!
瑜伽能养生,排毒,促进亲子关系,养颜,增进知识,减压,了悟真理以达到真正的喜悦等等!
绝无夸大,只想分享;-)

Allison said...

haha.. the grass is always greener on the other side yea.

goingkookies said...

haha.. OMG!! poor thing.

I LOVE ITALIAN food ie pizzas and pastas so i totally get what you mean!!

When i visited my Malaysian bf who was studying in Australia 2 years back.. all he wanted to eat was chinese food cos he missed Msian food.

But what i really wanted to eat was the Italian food.. Greek food.. anything but MALAYSIAN food!! hehe

Christine said...

This IS funny! I once stayed with a family in Argentina and was sinfully spoiled with Italian-style dishes every dinner (cooked from scratch although the hostess apologized for serving such 'ordinary' stuff)...

On the last day, they decided to give me a treat and I was surprised to get Chinese take-out: fried rice, sweet and sour pork and a 'tai bao'!

I was slightly disappointed but because they were so excited about it, I got into the moment too even though the Chinese food tasted more like plastic LOL.

mustaffa said...

very true.
its like some ppl here want to have white skin & garnier 'take care' for them.
on the other side of the world, ppl want to get tan they got skin cancer oso.they got tanning saloon we oso got whitening body spa.different hemisphere different wavelength.the grass is always greener at the other side is like the food is always better at neighbours

Tekkaus said...

And they say that the moon in the foreign country always looks "rounder"! :p

kent chan. said...

hahahaha.. i wonder what was the mother`s reaction if you told her, maam, i actually love italian food.. HAHA!

Anonymous said...

Amateure Sex

Amateur Telefonsex

sex webcam

Anonymous said...

sexy frauen

Arschritze versaut

Live Girls

Anonymous said...

i very much enjoy your posting way, very useful,
don't give up and also keep creating simply because it just simply very well worth to read it.
impatient to looked over a whole lot more of your current writing, have a good day!

Jojo's Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I find blogging quite therapeutic. It gives me a chance to express my thoughts. I'm currently a TV host living in KL and the mother of 3 confused looking pugs! ;) If u have the time, my modelling shots, tap dancing clips, full biography and TV trailers are all on www.jojostruys.com :-)

    Follow Jojo Struys' Thoughts